LUCERNA: Assembly Website

Michael David michael@newearth.org
Sat Oct 28 01:06:24 HST 2000

Dear John,

My hope is to avoid imposing differences on men and women
from without. I'm quite sure that there are real differences
that arise from within, and that any external use, done by a
man or by a woman, will turn into a different thing for each
one.

I think external differences and functions, which are
specific to individuals, also serve internal things that are
more universal. There are things within all of us that are
represented in the Word by women and men, and the existence
of actual women and men serves to evoke those internal
things, and makes them available to everyone on an internal
level. I think of the teachings about how everyone in the
world can have spiritual light because a few people have the
Word.

I think it's similar with the priesthood, with external
worship, with group projects and discussions, and other
things that exist externally in the church. That is, people
who serve in the priesthood in an external way are serving
to evoke an internal priesthood that exists with everyone.
This internal priesthood is the Lord's work of saving each
person. Put another way, the "celestial kingdom" is the
priesthood of heaven, and that exists in an internal way
with everyone. So, yes, the Lord's love in everyone is the
real priesthood.

Still, I don't think we will stop having an external
distinction between priesthood and laity anytime soon. It is
a result of the way people are inspired by the Lord to
participate in the church, and the external difference
serves and evokes internal things in all of us.

But I think the long-term trend will be to take the
externals more lightly, and to see through them more
clearly.

Love,
Michael

--