[lucerna] Lucerna discussion

Fri Jun 9 10:30:20 HST 2006

On the question of ordination of the priesthood the following is the
doctrine of the Swedenborgian Churches that recognize that only a "virtual
priesthood" has been established.This report was authoritatively written by
Rt. Rev. Elmo Acton on, "The Priesthood" and reported in New Church Life
1973:93:399-410

The History
Our subject properly begins with the first New Church ordination or
inauguration, which took place in London, England, in 1788. A group of men
who met regularly, beginning in 1783, for the purpose of reading and
studying the Writings of Emanuel Swedenborg, gradually came to see that
those Writings revealed the consummation of the former church and the
beginning of a new dispensation of the church. For the uses of this new
church to exist in the world, they saw that it would be necessary to form a
distinct organization, and they began by introducing a new and separate
worship, with baptism and administration of the Holy Supper. This shortly
led them to see that for the orderly performance of worship and the
sacraments a new priesthood was necessary. At first they considered
requesting ordination from one of the existing churches, but gradually they
came to see that as the New Jerusalem was the beginning of a new
dispensation of the church, it must derive its authority immediately from
the Lord in His second coming. They were enlightened to observe the
following order. The names of the sixteen men constituting the group were
placed in a receptacle, and of them twelve were chosen. On one of the lots,
which were prepared by Robert Hindmarsh, he wrote the word "Ordain." This
lot was drawn by himself. Then, without the other eleven men knowing this
fact, Hindmarsh was chosen by them to read the service. The twelve then
placed their right hands upon the heads of James Hindmarsh and Samuel Smith,
Robert Hindmarsh reading the service, and ordained them as priests in the
Lord's New Church. Thus began the priesthood of the New Church.
The church only gradually came to see fully that Robert Hindmarsh by this
procedure was the first ordained priest of the New Church. It was not until
the Conference of 1818, thirty years later, that the following resolution
was passed:
". . . in consequence of Mr. R. Hindmarsh having been called by lot to
ordain the first minister in the New Church, this Conference consider it as
the most orderly method which could then be adopted and that Mr. R.
Hindmarsh was virtually ordained by the Divine auspices of heaven; in
consequence of which this Conference consider Mr. Hindmarsh as one of the
regular ordaining ministers."

The question I ask you all is this: Since the name Jesus signifies the
Divine Goodness and Christ signifies Divine Truth, Is the Divine Truth
literally true? Is Jesus the Anointed, literally? My study has shown
conclusively in the Writings that this is affirmatively true. Can you
confess that Jesus is the Anointed, physically and literally? Are you
sanctified? Or are you anti-anointed?

Your brother in the Anointed,

"Greg"