[lucerna] aclimatizing to the terminology

Sat Jun 10 04:45:47 HST 2006

Gregory:

I believe Jesus is the One and Only Annointed, the only Incarnation of God, born in one time and in one place, 1 C.E., Israel of planet Earth.  And yes, He certainly was annointed with oil, but exactly how and when that ritual took place on Him physically, I do not know and neither does Alan (give him credit for at least answering you) nor any other New Church priest or layman.  I only know cinnamon, the second term, sensually.   I do not know myrrh, the first term, sensually, and I do not know cane (qaneh or KNH), the third term, sensually, only that the word is best defined in English as "reed" and in Latin as "calamus".  We in the New Church tend to believe that Swedenborg translated all Hebrew words perfectly into Latin and so CALAM is correct for KNH but I will credit your doubt as when you think about it--what's so great about a reed or calamus?  But could it be like the palms of Palm Sunday?  Then probably the Lord (Dominus) was annointed on Palm Sunday with myrrh, cinnamon,
 and palm reeds.  This way He would have fulfilled all of the prophesies of the Old Testament.

Bottom Line: No serious New Church person doubts that the Lord (Jesus) did everything He was supposed to do from the Divine Power within Him (called the Father) and only a small portion of things that He did are recorded in the literal sense of the New Testament.  So if He was supposed to be annointed according to the Law of Moses, then He was annointed according to the Law of Moses and with MR, KNNMN and KNH.  Is my answer good enough for you?

Your real question should be about the Lord's New Church and its ordination practices and should we follow the Law of Moses?  I don't know the answer to that one and I think "antichrist" is a little excessive of a derogatory term to use for people who don't live up to the absolute details of the Law of Moses, we use that term for those who subscribe to the idea of salvation by faith alone.  But stay tuned for more discussion on the priesthood of the Lord's New Church as there are other issues about to surface and other men of both authority and perception and also some women who hopefully will answer your questions without turning this LUCERNA web-site discussion group into a soap opera or worse, a circus.

Richard Campbell   arcam1970@comcast.net