[lucerna] aclimatizing to the terminology

Tue Jun 13 13:46:45 HST 2006

Hugh,

I quote here the pertinent parts that are referred to and then close with an
Editorial comment in parenthesis. The final parenthesis quote is from the
Writings and sites an exhaustive examination of this subject in the
Writings.

In D.L.W. 222 “I have often wondered that the angels have such knowledge
from the mere action of the body through the hands; but that it is so has
been shown to me repeatedly by living experience, and it has been said that
it is from this that inductions into the ministry are performed by the
laying on of the hands, and that "touching with the hand" signifies
communicating, with other like things. From all this the conclusion is
formed, that the all of charity and faith is in works, and that charity and
faith without works are like rainbows about the sun, which vanish away and
are dispersed by a cloud. On this account "works" and "doing works" are so
often mentioned in the Word, and it is said that a man's salvation depends
upon these; moreover, he that doeth is called a wise man, and he that doeth
not is called a foolish man. But it should be remembered that by "works"
here are meant uses actually done; for the all of charity and faith is in
uses and according to uses. There is this correspondence of works with uses,
because the correspondence is spiritual, but it is carried out through
substances and matters, which are subjects. (Note: As can be readily seen in
this quote, “it is carried out through substances and matters,” Ed.)

C.L. 396 “Hence also it is that at this day, inauguration into the
priesthood is made by the laying on of hands.” (Note: This refers to the
middle of the 7th week of Daniel. Ed.)

A.E. 79 “[2] The reason why to touch with the hand denotes to communicate,
and to transfer to another, is, because all the power of man is transferred
from the body into the hands; therefore, what the mind wills that the body
should do, the arms and hands perform accordingly. Hence it is that by arms
and hands in the Word is signified power (as may be seen, Arcana Coelestia,
n. 878, 3091, 4931-4937. 6947, 7673, 10,019); this power, however, is
natural power,” (Note: The reference here is to natural power which of
coarse we know to be from out of the proprium. Ed.)

A.C. 6292  'Place your right hand on his head' means that good should
accordingly occupy the first place. This is clear from the meaning of
'placing the right hand on a head' as considering to occupy the first place,
as above in 6269, 6287. The placing of his hand by one on the head of
another when he was going to bless belonged to a custom received from the
ancients For the head is where a person's actual powers of understanding and
will reside, whereas the body is where actions in response and in obedience
to them are located. Thus 'placing a hand on the head' was a representative
act, denoting that a blessing should be imparted to a person's understanding
and will, thus to his real self. That same custom originating in those
ancient times remains even to this day and is followed at ordinations as
well as in blessings. (From the Arcana Coelestia 9954 (1) “It is of interest
to know what is implied in all this, since anointing has remained in
practice from ancient times down to the present day (monarchs are anointed),
and anointing is held to be holy today in just the same way as it was in
former times.” 9475, 9954, 10249 & 10267 Ed.)

Greg