[lucerna] true believer crusade

Wed Jun 14 09:29:19 HST 2006

Dear Brother Greg, now that you are anecdotally laying out your complaint—as
Brother Richard Campbell has also threatened us with doing (<;—it is
becoming clearer why you are upset.  However, I am going to try to put your
complaint in a different perspective, if I can. I had previously spoken to
you about Jeremiah and the Amer-ican form of preaching call the Jeremiad as
examples of ‘knowing one’s audience.’ Although Jeremiah is found in the Old
Testament, it seems that his contemporaries did not care to listen to him. I
think that it was a matter of his tone.

You come off giving the impression on being on a crusade: namely, to free
some New Church school children from idolatry. The problem with crusading is
finding a way to reach the audience. Obviously, the adults in the General
Church—especially those representing the ‘Establishment’—are going to be an
extremely difficult sale, so you may want to count them out. You spoke in a
separate message [13-06-2006 18:38:39] about one “adolescent girl” who spoke
skeptically about what she is taught. But are you sure that she is an
audience ready to accept your message in the fashion you’re choosing to
deliver it? (Will not the “Ethiopian Orthodox Church” appear as another
“Establishment” to her and play to her skepiticism?)

I’m trying a gentle critique here, and may sound like I’m coming ‘off the
wall,’ but look into a fifty year old book by Eric Hofer entitles “the True
Believer,” not because of his own experiences, but because of what he has to
say about a crusader trying to reach an audience. In other words, your
message may be important, but you must first figure out how to attune your
audience to receive the message without filtering it out from “their true
belief.” (It don’t think it’s as though tomorrow is Judgment Day and people
will be lost for not listening today.) Regards, Alan