[lucerna] discrediting credit

Wed Jun 28 04:13:07 HST 2006

Dear David Chambers, I want to be sure we are not talking passed each other
(what Gerald Hurst has referred to as “a dualogue”).  What you have written
here today (below) and elsewhere is a truly eloquent testament to your
experience in coming to the New Church Movement and finding Leon James’
ideas and so forth. It is also perfectly understandable that you would want
to share this experience and insight with others (as Brother Greg and
Richard Campbell wish to share theirs). From my perspective, it is similarly
understandable that Stephen Burleigh would react to Leon James’ ideas as he
has, coming from the background and experience he has. We cannot expect to
model each others’ background and experiences.

It is even understandable that you would want to debate Stephen and me and
anyone: call to our attention the need for a positive bias; want us to
examine Third Testament numbers of your choosing; even spend some time
reading what Leon James has written. All this makes sense to me. However,
when you write “your tendency was to dismiss or discredit [Leon] by
providing numerous search engine quotes (sorry Alan, I know you don't like
these),” I think your tone is a disservice to your intentions. It is one
thing to challenge another’s ideas: it is something else to give the
appearance of divining—I intentionally chose this verb—another’s
motivations.  On the Lucerna site I have cautioned Brother Greg that his
TONE is counterproductive to his intent of alerting New Church people to
problems he sees.  Choosing words like “discredit” in speaking of what
another has written does not do CREDIT to your argument. That’s my point.
Alan