[lucerna] 'neo-stone age spirituality

Wed Jun 28 05:28:14 HST 2006

Dear David R. Chambers, I am going to attempt an approach to the subject we
are discussing from a different angle (perhaps an angle Richard Campbell
will appreciate). In describing the Most Ancient Church, the Third Testament
suggests that these people were in a higher state of perception than we are,
and could see spiritual things represented in natural things. (An example of
this from a scientific point of view may be found in Rachel Levy’s Ph. D.
thesis 'Religious Conceptions of the Stone Age,' popularly published as 'The
Gate of Horn' [1948], in which she interprets the cave paintings from
Lascaux and Altimira and other such Stone Age things.) It is fair to surmise
that Stone Age peoples may have been involved with their natural world in
entirely different ways than we are today. Indeed, we know that the Tree of
Knowledge refers to spiritual science, but it can also stand in for the vast
array of natural scientific knowledges that inform and control our lives at
this day, and do much to block our ability to develop spiritual life or
awareness (the ‘materialism’ card).

Certainly the Stone Age people did not enjoy natural life to the degree we
do, and I think there are few at this day who’d wish to go back to a Stone
Age existence. The Stone Age people were only scratching the surface of
understanding the natural world, and I posit it as analogous to where we are
at this day in relation to scratching the surface of understanding spiritual
life. Thus, when you write, “I don't believe we have to be totally perfected
in genuine truths from the Lord, before we can begin to impart this
information to others,” I think the perfecting process goes on to eternity.
To say, “Leon may have not reached a state of perfection yet,” is not the
central point, but it may explain reserved caution. Certainly we attempt “to
impart [our] information to others,” but I think it is perfectly natural
that others will receive information cautiously (without that being
negativity).  To adopt this cautious approach, to have a reserved
“affirmative attitude,” is NOT the same thing as “never allow[ing] the
possibility of the Lord's prophecy ever to be fulfilled.” I feel you
‘protesteth’ too vigorously. Alan