[lucerna] [reform] - Made Up History?... tumbling down earthquake country

Wed Jun 28 21:13:10 HST 2006

Good find, Stephen!  And speaks to the idea that "historical" does not mean
"factual," at least not in the TT.

And, my particular heresy is that in some fashion, ALL statements in ALL
testaments will be found to be accurate on every level of understanding--I'm
not sure it's even correct to assert that there will never be a city of gold
landing on the Minnesota cornfields, an image that one of my GC friends uses
to disparage a literal take on the book of Revelations.  Who can say?  And,
it might not look like that to our contemporary eyes, but when it ever, if
it ever, happens, the folks when it does will say, Hey, look at that!  City
of gold!  And it will seem obvious to them that this phenomenon is that to
which John was referring.  Especially if we grant him poetic license and the
use of metaphor in his predictions.

And of course, Carlie Simon thinks that it's already "landed," in New
York--has anyone heard her song, New Jerusalem, which was the themesong to
Working Girl a while ago (Melanie Griffin, Harrison Ford)?  Beautiful song;
the movie was kind of sad.  Poignant now, to watch the opening shots of NYC
with the twin towers shining in the sunlight.

Governance!  That's supposed to be the theme on reform!  (Has the committee
come up with anything that speaks to how decisions will be made, who will be
in charge of them, and what the focus of the church's efforts will be over
the next several years?  'Cause that's what I thought reform was
addressing!)  Which is why I've re-addressed this message to lucerna.

Warm regards,
Lorin