[lucerna] Earths in the Universe

Fri Jun 30 09:52:23 HST 2006

The Lord gives us revelation to inform us about spiritual reality.
What Swedenborg wrote is, for the most part, an account of an
experience that he had. As an account of an experience, I would say
that it is part of science and part of history.

When we wonder whether to accept a revelation like that given through
Swedenborg, one question that immediately comes up is one of
"admissibility of evidence." First, can we believe ANYONE who reports
this kind of experience, and second, should we believe this particular
report?

Should I consider this report as valid data, or not? That is a
scientific question.

Are God and the spiritual world part of reality, or not? That is a
scientific question, about what is real and what is not real.

If we accept the report, there are, of course, many further questions,
like how to interpret specific items, and what conclusions to draw
from the whole. The further questions may continue forever.

As an example of such a question, I would bring up the fact that
Swedenborg reports experiences that include naming people who were
Biblical or otherwise historical figures in this world, such as
"David" or "Paul" or "Karl XII of Sweden," and naming groups of
people, such as "the English" or "Jews" or "inhabitants of Mercury."

In other passages, we read that the mention of a specific person in
revelation refers to something on a spiritual level that exists,
actually or potentially, in every person.

I think the question of what is meant by the naming of a person or
group of people in revelation should remain alive a while longer.

Aloha,
Michael

---------------------------------

P.S. passages:

6653. [...] For a concentration of the mind on any people in
particular, or on any person in particular, narrows and restricts
their ideas, and deprives them of a perception of the full range of
the subject from one edge of it to the other. What applies to 'people'
applies in a similar way to other terms, in that in the internal sense
they mean entities unlimited by anything else, as is the case with
nation (meaning good), king (meaning truth), prince (meaning a leading
truth), priest (meaning good), son, daughter, son-in-law,
daughter-in-law, brother, sister, father, mother, and very many
others. (Arcana Coelestia 6653 (tr. Elliott)).

5095. [...] When the historical sense mentions a number of persons -
as when Joseph, Pharaoh, the chief of the attendants, the cupbearer,
and the baker are mentioned here - various things are indeed meant by
them in the internal sense, yet only as all these exist in one person.
(Arcana Coelestia 5095 (tr. Elliott)).

5225. [...] the idea of a person is converted in the internal sense
into that of some reality. For example, the idea of a man, husband,
woman, wife, son, daughter, boy, or girl is converted into the idea of
some truth or form of good. (Arcana Coelestia 5225 (tr. Elliott)).

---------------------------------

P.P.S. responding to:

> Date: Fri, 30 Jun 2006 12:09:43 +0100
> To: lucerna@novahierosolyma.org
> Subject: [lucerna] EinU

> I agree with those who say that, the Word has not been given to
> teach science nor history, or for that matter anything about the
> Natural world,which only affects the bodily life. These can be
> discovered by man.  What cannot be known from man, are the things
> pertaining to spiritual life. We therefore we read ,"Without a
> Revelation from the Divine, a man cannot know anything concerning
> eternal life, or even concerning God; and still less can he know
> anything concerning love and faith in Him.." (New Jerusalem and its
> Heavenly Doctrine 249).  With regard to Earths in the Universe, (not
> worlds in outer space,which is not what the Lord said) it deals
> solely with the qualites of human life.  Dealt with in Arcana
> Coelestia, at the end of each chapter in Exodus, the subject is the
> development of that life, in relation to the External mind, the
> planets, and the Internal ,the earths in the starry heavens. In
> relation to the latter, we note that six are mentioned, whereas in
> the book EinU, there are only five. By six is signifed temptations,
> which take place during regeneration, as in the six days of
> creation..  When we look at the contents of the book itself, we
> therefore, note five planets and five earths in stary heavens. As
> said, these refer to the External mind and the Internal.  By the
> moon is signified the faith formed in the human as the reflector of
> love. The reason the Lord was born on our earth, in relation of our
> life, is in keeping with the teaching, that all things proceed from
> Primes,through Ultimates to Intermendiates... From the Lord into the
> Knowldges formed from the Word, in us, to the forming of the
> Spiritual mind; the new Understanding and the new Will.

P.P.P.S. Hi Norman. I find WHITE SPACE and paragraphs very helpful in
organizing and presenting a thought. --MVD

--
Michael V. David ---------- http://mvdavid.com
E kaupê aku nô i ka hoe a kô mai.