[lucerna] [L] RE: Jewish Church & LNC

Fri Jul 7 09:23:41 HST 2006

>On Wed, 5 Jul 2006, Alan Longstaff wrote:
>
> > Since this is on Lucerna, even though I don't want to confuse the issue,
> > there is something here that takes me back to Greg's CONCERN about being
> > very clear about specific words like "CALAM*". Alan
>
>Hi Alan,
>
>I'm not completely sure what you mean exactly. I'm not offering it as
>"hair-splitting" semantic issue (to use Barrie's language about what we
>are doing on Relform). Why would I do that? You know my interests and
>level of thinking.
>
>The issue is substantive and socially sensitive. It will impact the New
>Church for centuries to come -- depending on how that issue is handled.
>
>Have you seen my (partly auto-biographical) article on the issue of
>anti-semitism in the Writings?
>
>Anti-semitism and Holocaust Theology
>http://www.soc.hawaii.edu/leonj//anti-semitism.htm
>
> > Hi Doctrine Lovers, What do you make of this?
> >
> > SE-WE 237. But because the Jewish Church, in itself, must be one and
> > >the same with the Church truly Christian, as was the earliest or infant
> > >Church, therefore, so that that Church might be portrayed as an inner
>one,
> > >Abraham depicts a belief that makes one righteous.
> > >	The fact that belief was accounted to him because he had believed
> > >the promise concerning Isaac, who was to be the promised son [Gen.
> > >15:4-6], could not have made Abraham righteous, unless at the same time
>he
> > >had believed that by the promised son was meant the Messiah, Who was to
>be
> > >born, and Who is the One Only promised Son. (SE-WE 237)
> > >=======================
> > >
> > >The apparent anti-semitism in the Writings is counterbalanced by
> > >statements like the above, which asserts that the Jewish Church must be
> > >the same as the "Church truly Christian" which is a reference to the
>New
> > >Church (TCR). So the NC and the Jewish Church form a one. How are we to
> > >interpret this (a) literally, and (b) spiritually?
> > >
> > >Aloha,
> > >
> > >Leon

Leon,
You wrote in the meaning of “Jews” in the New Church mind: “Religious
rituals, religious prayers, religious sacrifices, fastings, meditations—none
of it can prevail. Only what can prevail is a reformed character in daily
willing and thinking for the sake of God and religion (LIFE 1). No one has
the power to attain this. But anyone can turn to the Lord and ask Him to do
it, for He can. And He has laid out in His Word what we must do in order for
Him to regenerate us. This He does to anyone from any religion with any
background universally. In heaven there are no religions, but only conscious
life in accordance with the Word (AR 918).”

The references you quoted from the Writings follow at the end of these
observations. The following answers the questions on how we to understand
the literal and spiritual meaning of the Word and its 'oneness' with the
Israelite and Early Christian Church in the desending New Church.

You state that because there is no Church in Heaven therefore it seems no
Church in the world except in the capacity as an individual. In this world
the life of the Church is in its religious rituals, religious prayers,
religious sacrifices, fastings and meditations. These practices conjoin the
individual to Heaven as I can tell you from much experience in life and
through my attendance at the Ethiopian and also Coptic Orthodox Churches.
Oriental Orthodox practices are beyond the understanding of those who have
never experienced this life of the Church. Therefore, it follows from your
statement: Those who have the Writings don’t need to engage in spiritual
practices that were taught by the resurrected Savior to the Apostles and
earlier to the Ancient and Israelite Churches. Odd how the justification of
this ignorance develops, wouldn’t you say? And yet at its basic this is the
founding theology of the 'five branches' of the New Church Movement.

The first Christians were Jews who worshipped at the Temple in Jerusalem for
over three decades and the first Divine Liturgy of James the Just is
retained in the Orthodox practices. What I have found is that the Writings
explain or open the understanding when these Church practices are adhered
to. I have been asked many times. How come you attend our Church if you do
not understand the teachings, which are in Amaharic at the Ethiopian or
Egyptian when attending the Coptic? I tell them it is the symbolism and the
blessings of the priests. The Divine Liturgy is given in English on a
projector, I should note.

But this brings us to another interesting point in your observation of the
Church practices you dismiss; the blessing from the hand of the priests. You
state ‘in daily willing and thinking for the sake of God and religion’. And
also, ‘This He does to anyone from any religion with any background
universally.’ Do you attend a Church? Is it Swedenborgian with its ’20
minute sermon’? Does it follow the in and out the door practice in under an
hour? Who are the Machiavellians? What is the New Church militant in your
New Church mind?

My experience in the opening of the Word through the Writings and the
literal and spiritual understanding was overwhelming and still is extremely
difficult. Being able to understand at a deeper level than the
‘Swedenborgians’ who claim these doctrines as the Third Testament is a
lonely vigil. I did not know this at the time, but my education in the
Writings was based upon the formula stated in Lucerna for the correct study
of the Writings. By the way, you may recall that it was you who introduced
me to www.heavenlydoctrines.org four years ago. The Lord alone ‘illuminated’
and ‘illustrated’ for me this experience after I learned that the priests of
‘one of the branches’ rejects the literal Word. It was during this time at
an Ethiopian Orthodox Church that a spiritual experience was given to me. My
subsequent experiences at an Ethiopian Orthodox Church allowed me the
capability to continue with these discoveries. At the close of the service
the priest administers an individual blessing and then the congregant is
given a drink of Holy water. The influx at the time was immense and
uplifting. Being able to delve into these mysteries became doable. It is in
the worship experience and life of the Church that opens the spiritual mind
to enable these mysteries to take hold and become translucent. It is this
conjunction in the spirit, which enables the man to know and do the ‘will of
God’ at a celestial level. In Rev., "And He showed me a pure river of water
of life, clear as crystal, proceeding out of the throne of God and of the
Lamb." xxii. 1.

One of the favorite phrases in the LNC is, “Now it is permitted to enter
with understanding into the mystery of the faith.” This quote is used to
mean that the mysteries are now understood. Or even that the ‘New Church‘
priests alone understand, when in actuality the Writings are not understood
at all in their depth. This phrase is misused with deleterious effect and
closes the mind.

The revealing of Joseph to his brothers is absolutely astounding in its
significance when the literal Hebrew Word is accepted as physically true and
understood from out of the Writings. The focus upon the ‘Jews’ and the
‘Holocaust’ and the anti-Semitism of the Writings you assign this
importance, “The issue is substantive and socially sensitive. It will impact
the New Church for centuries to come -- depending on how that issue is
handled.” The Ethiopian Orthodox Church traces its history back to the
founding of that Israelite Church by Solomon. And even earlier to the
Ancient Church as they retain the Book of Jasher in their Cannon. It was the
priests of this Israelite Church that caused the uproar for they are the
wise men from the east. Any theological student should know that the ‘Jews’
are not going to be in an uproar over anyone from outside their religion.
The Ethiopian Israelite Church has now and had then the Ark of the Covenant.
This is the celestial Church where the literal Word is understood and
worshipped as Holy and so is the Divine Man. In Matthew, “Now when Jesus was
born in Bethlehem of Judea in the days of Herod the king, behold, there came
wise men from the east to Jerusalem. Saying, Where is the He that is born
the King of the Jews? For we have seen His star in the east, and are come to
worship Him. When Herod the king had heard these things, he was troubled,
and all Jerusalem with him. And when he had gathered all the chief priests
and scribes of the people together, he demanded of them where the Anointed
should be born.” ii. 1. – 4.

Here are two sites that really will engage the mind on this subject:
http://www.meta-religion.com/Archaeology/Israel/scholar_says.htm This site
documents the use of the blessed 'oil' by John the Baptist in the Sacrament
of Baptism.

http://www.yourarmstoisrael.org/Articles_new/notes/?page=AncientSymbol This
site documents the use of the blessed 'oil' by James the Just in the
Sacrament of Baptism.

In Genesis, "And he believed in the Lord; and he counted it to him for
righteousness." xv. 6.

In your earlier question it was directed to what do we think of a passage in
the Writings. In this quote is the phrase, “the promised son was meant the
Messiah”. The ancient prophesy that God would walk the face of the earth, as
a man is what Abram believed and that he would found the race from out of
which this Divine man would manifest. This promised son is identified as the
‘Messiah’ in Hebrew or the ‘Anointed’ in English. When you are able to
comprehend what this term means literally then the Writings and their
explanation of the Word will begin to open and you will be able to ‘see’ the
Lord Jesus the Anointed as the Divine Human. It is this literal
understanding that will be made manifest physically in the future of His New
Church. This literal and spiritual understanding is now closed. It is
CERTAIN that there is no other term “like CALAM*” (Alan) AE 627. This term
means in the Writings both ultimate truth and falsity sustaining. When this
falsity is no longer sustained in the translations of the Writings then you
and the world will ‘see’ Him in the clouds with a sickle in hand, wearing a
golden crown. Rev. 14:14
Your brother in the Anointed, literally
Greg
Doctrine of Life
1. ALL RELIGION HAS RELATION TO LIFE, AND THE LIFE OF RELIGION IS TO DO GOOD
Every one who has any religion knows and acknowledges that he who lives well
will be saved, and that he who lives wickedly will be condemned; for he
knows and acknowledges that he who lives well thinks well, not only
concerning God but also concerning the neighbour; but not so he who lives
wickedly. The life of man is his love; and what a man loves he not Only does
willingly but also thinks willingly. The reason, therefore, why it is said
that the life [of religion] is to do good is, because the doing of good
unites with the thinking of good; and unless they act in unison in a man,
they do not form part of his life. But these things will be demonstrated in
what follows.
918. [verse 22] 'And I saw no temple therein, for the Lord God Almighty is
the temple thereof, and the Lamb' signifies that in this Church there will
not be any external separated from what is internal, because the Lord
Himself in His Divine Human, from Whom is everything of the Church, is the
Only One being approached, worshipped and adored. By 'I saw no temple
therein' is not understood that in the New Church, which is the New
Jerusalem, there will be no temple, but that in it there will not be what is
external separated from what is internal. This is because by 'a temple' is
signified the Church as to worship, and in the uppermost (supernus) sense
the Lord Himself as to the Divine Human, Who is to be worshipped, as may be
seen above (n. 191, 529, 585); and because everything of the Church is from
the Lord it is therefore said 'for the Lord God Almighty is the temple
thereof and the Lamb', by which is signified the Lord in His Divine Human.
By 'the Lord God Almighty' is understood the Lord from what is eternal, Who
is Jehovah Himself, and by 'the Lamb' is signified His Divine Human, as
frequently above.